Talking sports while everyone else talks s#*%. Don't be haters, be Debaters!

No Thanks NFL!

Image

Will the Jets get Belichick-aches or the Pats a dirty Sanchez?

Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year, hands down.  It’s a day I relax, eat great food, see family and friends and watch football from 12 p.m. to midnight.  The NFL’s addition of a third game on my favorite holiday is something I have been extremely thankful for the past few years.  Very often, dinner is served during the second game, and in many years past, I have been unable to catch all of the action, especially before the days of Tivo and DVR.  The third game (and these fantastic inventions) have really allowed me to enjoy a full slate of football all day and night.  However, this year the NFL schedule makers have decided to ruin my holiday and play a sick joke on al New York Jet fans.

Not only are they putting the Jets in primetime on Thanksgiving night, but they have decided to match us up against the arch-rival Patriots.  In the past two years, I would have been extremely pumped for this game, envisioning the Jets finally taking over the reigns of the AFC East.  However, I just can’t see how this year will end up any different.  Tom Brady vs. Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow?  Belichik vs. Ryan?  A world-class organization vs. the NFL’s biggest soap opera?  All of these factors lead to one thing…My favorite day is certainly going to be tarnished this year!

Part of me is thinking about boycotting the game completely.  Maybe I’ll head down to the local mall and try to beat the black friday crowds.  I might also try to eat myself into a food coma and therefore pass out well before kick-off. It’s possible that I can drink enough beer and wine that it will be physically impossible to see the game, and I can make up the outcome in my inebriated state.  All I know is after eating and drinking all day, being subjected to the beat-down that I am already bracing myself for, will make the task of keeping my food down almost impossible.  This year I will fully enjoy the Macy’s parade, because I know that my day will probably only go down hill from there.  Thanks a lot NFL!

Advertisements

13 responses

1. Pingback: Did That Really Happen? « Sports Debaters

2. It should make it a lot harder to Belli-cheat to work his illegal magic in a nationally televised game also.

April 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

• I don’t know about that…the game he really got caught was during the 2001 Super Bowl, its usually nationally televised

April 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

3. mr. know-it-all

relax bobby! by the time thanksgiving rolls around, the sancez/tebow led jets will be undefeated, and will have already clinched the AFC East. it will be a meaningless game. so you can watch it without pressure, unless, of course, you think an undefeated season has meaning.

April 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

4. Sleeds

Keeping Rex away from food?? not good for a big guys mental state

April 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

• you know damn well he’ll smuggle some turkey legs in his hoodie and probably fill up a gatorade jug with mashed potatoes and stuffing…but on the other hand, I kind of have the feeling that Rex eats like Thanksgiving every day of the year, so it really won’t be too big of a deal…

April 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM

5. Oh one more thing. I hope Tebow gets to stink it up against the Patriots. It is so much fun getting beat by the Patriots. Does ESPN get to have an eight hour pre-game show before we watch the Jets lose? EDB

April 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM

6. Hey Matt, let’s keep talking about Football during Baseball season. It’s such a great game. I think the NFL should increase the length of time in huddles and increase TV timeouts. And they say Baseball is slow. Bobby is not being a baby. Why don’t we have ten games on Thanksgiving. EDB

April 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM

7. I don’t see why you are being such a baby about this Thanksgiving Day match-up. Sure I’m a unwarranted optimistic Jets fan, but we have to play the Pat’s twice a season anyway so why not make one on Thanksgiving. If anything it will keep Rex farther away from the food and more focused on the game. I would hope that the Jets will bring their “A” game on Thanksgiving Day and I definitely won’t cry about the schedule.

April 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM

• I do agree with you that anything to keep Rex away from food is probably a good thing, though I’m pretty sure he’ll get his grub on earlier in the day. I’m just like all things on Thanksgiving to be positive and I can see this being a downer. Even if we bring our “A” game, I’m sure Brady will do the same and I think his is better than ours. We’ll see, when the night comes I’m sure I’ll be sitting on the couch as excited as you are, I’m just trying to keep it kind of real…

April 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

8. michelle

Where is your faith????

April 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM

• Tim Tebow stole it all!

April 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM