Talking sports while everyone else talks s#*%. Don't be haters, be Debaters!

Next King of NY??

The Giants won a Super Bowl about a month ago.  The Rangers are in first place in the entire NHL.  The Knicks have a serious case of Linsanity.  The Jets are only a few pieces (Peyton Manning?) away from serious contention, and one year removed from two consecutive Championship Games.  Until further notice, the Yankees are one of the best teams in baseball every season.  And the Mets, well if they could afford bats and gloves this year, then maybe they can compete as well.

With that said…Who do you think the next championship team in NYC will be?  Who will get that parade through the Canyon of Heroes?  Let the debating begin…

Advertisements

21 responses

1. Tough loss, don’t see Lunqvist give up too many third period goals…HUGE game vs. the Islanders coming up on Sunday to try to get on the winning track. The offense has not been clicking at all, getting a little nervous. Maybe we should have pulled the trigger at the trade deadline for Nash??

March 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM

• Andrew

Brutal stretch lately, Lundqvist has been solid in net lately and it is a bit worrisome to see him allow so many goals lately, especially in the third period Friday. The offense looks totally lost, it’s time for Gaborik and Richards to put the team on their backs and carry them through March. I’m still like 50/50 on the Nash trade, I love the chemistry the team displayed up until a couple weeks ago and didn’t want to see it disrupted, but if they are going to be this inconsistent they are going to have some problems. They’ve basically allowed Pittsburgh and New Jersey to climb right back into the division race so they’ve gotta really finish strong now, although it might not be so bad not having to face Washington as the 8 seed. No matter how they’ve played this year, I worry they would still give the Rangers fits based on the last two playoff disasters against them.

March 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM

• Yeah, i definitely agree…Stanely Cup playoffs are weird as it is, routinely you have the 8 seeds take out the 1. The Rangers have definitely done enough to make it to the tournament, and being in first place all season brought back shades of ’94. However, a hot goalie and solid defense can take you a long way and if our scorers (Gaborik, Cally, Richards) can produce a little bit, I’d be feeling more confident… I agree with you on the chemistry aspect of not making any deadline trades, and at the time it seemed like the right move, but who knew we would then go on a stretch where we can’t buy a goal, still feel good about our resiliency and we have enough time to get back on track…fill out a NCAA bracket!!

March 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

• Andrew

Now the team looks completely lost. Not sure where Biron’s game has gone lately but he seems to give up goals in ridiculous bunches now. Not liking how they’re finishing up, but hopefully they get the funk out of the way now and can get it going come playoff time.

March 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM

• The thing is that hopefully it doesn’t really matter what Biron does, because it wont affect the playoffs. We need a healthy, rested Lunqvist and we have a shot. But still, the fact that we can’t beat Pittsburgh or New Jersey is really frustrating.

March 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

2. Andrew

Definitely true, they’ve been really good at not turning losses into long losing streaks this year so I think they should be OK. Lundqvist should hold up against most goalies this year, he is having his best season in a long time. Agreed, huge game tonight, especialy with Pittsburgh creeping back towards the top, gotta keep a solid hold on the #1 seed.

March 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

3. Yeah, I agree with you about the Rangers recent struggles. However, a hockey season is a long grind and I’m hoping the last few weeks is a slight hiccup which is natural for any team to go through. The Devils are a scary team, though I think Lundqvist will holdup in a best of seven against an aging Brodeur. Big bounce back game tonight against Chicago, interested to see if they show up…

March 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

4. Andrew

If it were a week ago I would say hands down the Rangers, but their recent funk has accentuated some of their weaknesses. Still, I think the Rangers are in the best position compared to the rest of the New York teams. They’ve got a tough schedule coming up for March so there’s still a lot to be decided, but I think the team is set up for a deep playoff run. The Devils do worry me though considering their recent dominance of the Rangers. Other than that if they can stay healthy and consistent they should have just a good a chance as any come playoff time.

March 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM

5. sleeds

Yankees this year…. can’t think of better way to send Mo off into retirement.

March 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM

6. JennyB

I agree that the Yankees made some good moves in the offseason, especially with regards to their rotation. I also like how the lineup is looking this year… it’s sad to see Jorge go, but I don’t think his bat will be missed this season. However, I hate to prematurely predict championships for my teams. The last time I did that for the Giants, they started 5-0 and didn’t even make it to the playoffs. This past season, I anticipated much heartache, especially after their ugly week 1 loss to the Redskins and.. well, I won’t rub it in. Since I do not anticipate the Rangers being serious playoff contenders just yet, I feel uncomfortable making a prediction, given my remaining options. (I can confidently rule out the Knicks, Mets and Jets on this one)… Ask me in July.

March 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM

7. I’m going to kind of state the obvious and pick the Yankees as the next team to take home a title. I like what the Rangers are doing, but they have showed signs of struggling lately. They have a really young team and I’m not convinced they will hold up for a Cup run just yet. I love what the Yankees did this offseason in bringing in Kuroda and Pineda while getting rid of Burnett. Put those two in a rotation with CC, Nova and Hughes, then add our lineup which is always among the best, and I feel really confident that the Yankees will have a dominating year, ending in a Championship, with Mariano Rivera winning another World Series in his last ever Major League Appearance.

March 8, 2012 at 3:57 PM

8. Ellen

Hi J…..I was thinking of a different Joel…one who’s last name begins with S….see, I was right to be surprised that he would write what you wrote….because he didn’t, lol. I will still take you up on that bet though….

March 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM

9. JMS462

I am willing to wager $1,000 that Kris Humphries leads the NJ Nets to the crown. There will be a parade from Jersey all the way to their new home in Brooklyn. Jay-z will lead the celebration with a 12 hour set and Kim K. and Humphries will re-marry and divorce before the start of the 2013 season.

March 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM

• Ellen

Is that you, Joel? I’m surprised you keep track of Kim K and Kris H, lol. I might even take you up on that bet….

March 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

• JMS462

Joel’s last name starts with a “C”.

This is Robka’s friend…

March 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM

10. I would love to say the Knicks but after last nights massacre in San Antonio that doesn’t look possible for a while. Going into this past season I would have definitely said the Jets, but they’re definitely gonna need some major changes first…(Peyton Manning). I will never predict the Yankees so that leaves me with the hottest team in New York, the Rangers. They have the best defense and best goalie in the league.

March 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

11. mr. know-it-all

the next world championship in ny will go to the giants, who will be the first nfc team since dallas in ’94 to repeat.

March 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM

12. I just don’t know that if the Red Bulls did win, anybody would really know. I am assuming their would be no parade down the Canyon of Heroes…Maybe the team would get VIP at Chuckie Cheese for a free pizza party?

March 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM

• Ellen

Who are the New York Red Bulls? And, don’t make fun of me 🙂

March 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

• MLS Soccer team…don’t even worry about it!

March 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

13. Peter

The New York Red Bulls of course! If J. Borrajo can stay healthy and mount a solid defense, they will be unstoppable.

March 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM